Why Iraq Banking & Investment Summit?
Iraq has recently come through from a prolonged period of destabilization. The government has successfully driven out Daesh and has reclaimed its borders are many years of war.
The reduction in oil price has left the government with a large budget deficit and has highlighted the necessity to diversify the economy. The government has taken steps to improve productivity and develop the non-oil economy, including banking, agriculture, mining, tourism and many others.
The Iraq economy represents a large untapped potential and has witnessed strong growth over the past year, despite the challenges. The economy grew an estimated 10% in 2016, the highest in the region and across emerging markets. The country is rebuilding the non-oil economy, improving judicial and legislative systems and encouraging a wide range of investments.
There are no foreign limits on investments and foreign reserves are high at over US$ 50bn. The economy has room for growth, combined with a young and educated population, the opportunities are plentiful.
|Local Market||Service Providers|
|Director Generals||Banking Sector|
|Central Bank||Technology Firms|
|Public & Private Banks||Payment Systems|
|Depository Centre||Financial Institutions|
|Private Companies||Law Firms|
Aim and Objectives
Aim & Objectives
- To highlight the outstanding opportunities for investment in Iraq.
- To provide a forum for effective networking and exchange between key stakeholders in the Iraqi economy, including government officials, multinationals, investors and service providers.
- To discuss the variety of key sectors in the economy, showcasing its growth, development and outlook.
- Highlight the key challenges facing the economy, including diversification, foreign direct investment, judicial & legislative constraints, private sector growth and transparency.
- Discuss the necessary steps to enhance private sector employment and opportunities.
Topics of Discussion
- Financing Iraq’s growth and diversification plans.
- Foreign investors entering Iraq, understanding the local market.
- The non-oil sector, what are the key industries in the coming years?
- Developing and supporting the private banking sector. What steps are necessary to increase lending and encourage trust in banks.
- Modernising the banking sector through technology upgrades.
- Financing opportunities for the private sector; what measures are currently undertaken to promote private employment and growth.
- The importance of the Iraqi capital markets to develop the economy. How to encourage local company listings.